Thursday, February 19, 2009

Prison...uh, I mean, Prism


Prism?
Yes, Prism. Prism is the latest project by Mozilla Labs to grace my desktop. I'm usually skeptical about new software and I'm not too fond of undeveloped projects, but, I just couldn't resist Prism. Prism is downloadable on a separate platform, or as a Firefox extension. What is does, is it turns any web page into a web application. Meaning, you can turn you Google Calendar page into a separate Calendar application; all with its own desktop icon, quick launch icon, and more! In fact, that's exactly what I've done; I've uninstalled Mozilla Sunbird and changed my gCal page into a desktop app! Prism allows you to save you login information so that I can quickly log in to my calendar page and email.

So...Prism is like a prison how??
Well, I guess that conceivably you could "imprison" yourself with Prism. You see, I have a detrimental habit of going off tangent when I'm online (Ah yes, FDR's New Deal of the 1930s...hmmm, "new deal on used textbooks"!). Thus, I have created a desktop application for almost every site I use extensively, i.e. Yahoo Mail, Google Calendar, Encyclopedia Britannica, etc. Because Prism operates like a program, there is no address bar which eliminates the possibility of getting off topic! Yes...it's a cruel practice...but necessary.

I WANT PRISM NOW!!
Yeah, that's how I reacted when I found out about it...well...sort of...okay, maybe that was an overstatement. Anyways, Prism is available for download on Windows, Mac, and Linux. Here are some links:

Download Prism for Windows
Download Prism for Mac OS X
Download Prism for Linux

Download Prism for Firefox 3.0b3pre or greater [extension]

No comments: